Friday 9 September 2011

"A Montessori Child’s Plea Poem"

WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY?

Today I did my math and language, practical life too,
I used my eyes, my ears and hands, my senses the whole day through.
I added and subtracted, learned patience all the day.
I used tweezers, blocks, and puzzles,
And worked with the scrubbing tray.
I learned how to mix colors,
And learned how to weigh.
So mom and dad, please don’t say-
“DID YOU BRING ANY PAPERS HOME TODAY?”
You see, I’m sharing as I play,
Learning self control throughout the day,
I’m learning to listen and speak clearly when I talk,
To wait my turn and when inside to walk,
To put my words into phrases,
To balance along the “Red Rod” maze,
To find my name and write it down,
I do it with a smile, not a frown.
So mom and dad, please don’t say,
“WHY DON’T YOU HAVE ANY PAPERS TODAY?”
I learned about a snail, I learned about a worm,
I learned about flags and maps,
And how to take a turn,
I helped a friend when he was stuck,
I learned that water runs off a duck.
I looked at words from left to right,
Agreed to differ, not to fight.
Today I sang the continent song,
I learned the difference between right and wrong,
So mom and dad, please don’t say,
“DID YOU ONLY PLAY TODAY?”
Because yes, I played the whole day through,
I worked to learn the things I do,
Encounter a problem, find the clue and work it out for myself, I do.
My teachers set the scene and stand near-by,
They want me to succeed and teach me how to try.
They pose the questions, and help me to think,
They keep me afloat and would never let me sink.
So don’t get discouraged and frustrate me,
I try my best and I’m learning each day.
So mom and dad, please don’t say,
“HAVEN’T YOU DONE ANY WORK TODAY?”

~ Author Unknown ~

No comments:

Post a Comment